- Voters in Singapore can now use the Singpass app as a substitute to their physical National Registration Identity Card (NRIC) at polling stations.
- All government agencies accept Singpass for a plethora of e-citizen transactions, from borrowing library books to booking Housing Board flats.
- Hotels and certain government services still mandate physical NRICs, but this is currently under review.
The Straits Times reports that the Singpass app, the digital identity of Singapore residents, now offers an alternative to presenting physical NRICs at polling stations during voting.
Nifty Singpass for the ballot box
If you’ve ever groaned about forgetting your NRIC while going out to vote, fret no more.
Now we have the Singpass app.
What’s that? You’ve not heard of it?
Picture this, it’s like your physical NRIC, but on your phone.
That’s right, you can show it on your phone, just like you show off your holiday snaps.
Convenience at your fingertips, literally.
Government agencies love Singpass
And it’s not just about voting, mind you. From December 2022, you can also show-off your Singpass for marriage registration with the Registry of Marriages.
Now, isn’t that romantic?
Even the bookworms amongst us can rejoice.
Your next trip to the library can be as easy as signing into your Singpass account.
Makes returning books sound fun, doesn’t it?
And for those of you in need of healthcare services, Singpass is your new key to book appointments.
No more long queues and complicated forms. It’s as simple as tap and go.
Hold onto your old NRICs
But wait! Don’t bid adieu to your dear old physical NRIC cards just yet.
Hotels still fancy them over their digital counterpart.
Well, it’s the law they say.
But we hear whispers that this law is under review.
Next time you might be checking into your favourite hotel using just your phone.
And for the more official stuff like immigration checks and certain investigations, the traditional physical cards still hold the fort.
Digital will have to wait here.
- Never forget your NRIC again. If you have a smartphone, download the Singpass app. It’s as real as your physical card for most services.
- If you are planning to tie the knot, the Singpass might just be your something modern for the registry of Marriages.
- While we might be stepping into the future, remember to keep your old-world NRIC handy. You never know when it might come in handy.
Who could have imagined this little app called Singpass could carry so much weight?
As, “The Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) said it has made clear to all banks that the use of Singpass for verification is permitted for all over-the-counter and online transactions.” quite the leap, isn’t it?
In conclusion, while the Singpass app is indeed a step towards a fully digital future, it is still in its infancy.
The physical NRIC still has a role to play in our lives.
So, what do you think?
Are you ready to embrace the digital world of Singpass?
Or do you prefer the comfort of your traditional, tangible NRICs?