- New rule for verifying education in EP applications from 1 September 2023
- Calling for proposals from background screening companies to help with verification
- We can expect smooth implementation and affordable fees
People will always try to cheat their way into jobs by using fake degrees.
And sometimes, they slipped through.
The Ministry of Manpower (MOM) is going to put a stop to it.
All EP applications must now have their education qualifications (diploma-level & above) – declared to earn COMPASS points – verified from 1 September 2023 onwards.
Background Screening Companies
So how do they make sure all these qualifications are real?
MOM wants to work with background screening companies.
These companies are experienced in checking educational certificates.
They can help employers ensure their candidates’ qualifications are accurate.
Mr Sim Gim Guan from SNEF says, “SNEF will work with MOM to help ensure a smooth implementation of this new requirement. SNEF expects that the fees will be kept affordable due to economies of scale, with more employers using such services.”
So there’s no need to worry about high fees also!
Fair Assessment and High-Quality Vetting
These background screening companies must be good at what they do.
Here’s what is required of them:
- Need a minimum of 3 years of experience;
- ability to check the qualification’s authenticity;
- ability to check the institution’s accreditation;
- demonstrate quality qualification verification processes.
MOM will also set up a panel to test these companies.
It will help them choose the best ones to work with.
Actionable and Practical Takeaways
- Verify your candidates’ qualifications before applying for EP from 1 September
- Use a MOM-approved background screening company to help you with the process
- Keep an eye on the MOM website for updates on this new ruling
For interested background screening companies, here are the submission details on the GeBIZ.
The deadline for submitting proposals is 10 May 2023, 4.00 pm (Singapore time).
Now you know how MOM plans to ensure that people with fake degrees cannot cheat their way into jobs and how to be part of it.
Let’s work together to eliminate dishonest people from entering our job system!