• Joint operation cripples fake friend call scam syndicate
• Over 1,300 victims and $4.33 million in losses since January 2023
• How to fight fake friend call scams and protect yourself
Did you hear about the big fight against fake friend call scams?
The Singapore Police Force and the Royal Malaysia Police worked together to stop a scam syndicate.
This group was tricking people in Singapore with fake friend calls. Together, they helped catch the bad guys and keep us safe.
A Joint Operation to Stop the Scams
The Singapore Police Force and the Royal Malaysia Police worked together to stop a fake friend call scam syndicate.
The bad guys were in Johor, Malaysia, but they were tricking people in Singapore.
On 20 March 2023, the police arrested three men and stopped the scams.
Mr David Chew, Director of CAD, said, “We will continue to take tough action against individuals who perpetuate scams even if they are based overseas.”
The Scary Numbers: Victims and Losses
Since January 2023, more than 1,300 people have been tricked by fake friend call scams.
The victims lost a total of at least $4.33 million.
The scam syndicate caught by the police was involved in more than 40 reports and caused losses of over $250,000.
Fighting fake friend call scams and keeping our friends and family safe from these tricks is vital.
How to Fight Fake Friend Call Scams
We can all help fight fake friend call scams by being careful and smart.
Here are some tips to protect yourself and your loved ones:
• Be cautious when receiving calls from unknown numbers. If someone says they are your friend, but you don’t recognise their voice, ask questions to verify their identity.
• If a “friend” asks for money, don’t feel pressured to help immediately. Take time to verify their story and make sure it’s them.
• Talk to your real friends and family about these scams so they can be prepared too.
Actionable and Practical Takeaways
• Be cautious with unknown callers and verify their identity
• Don’t feel pressured to help immediately; take time to verify the story
• Share information about scams with friends and family
It’s great that the Singapore Police Force and the Royal Malaysia Police worked together to fight fake friend call scams.
They caught the bad guys and protected many people from losing money.
But we should all do our part to stay safe and help our friends and family stay safe too.
Do you have any other tips on protecting ourselves from these tricks? Share your thoughts in the comments below!