- 71-year-old man sentenced to jail for knife attack in Ang Mo Kio.
- Judge rejects man’s claim of self-defense against ‘gangster’ victim.
- Victim sustains cuts and partially cut muscles from attack.
What’s up bro, I just heard about this, like there’s an old man getting jail time for stabbing, got this notty feeling.
Check out Today Online article that says 71-year-old Quah Tat Khim got sentenced to nine months and two weeks in jail after judge said no to his self-defense story.
Attack Not Accident, All Intentional
So the judge, District Judge Sharmila Sripathy-Shanaz, felt like Quah’s attack on Poh Yew Chye, who was 56 years old at the time, wasn’t an accident or anything.
Quah went for Poh’s body with 12cm-long fruit knife!
It was like Quah trying to hurt Poh properly, not just waving that knife around to scare him.
Aiyoh, got CCTV showing the whole thing somemore.
Man Claims Victim Gangster, So Drama
Quah says victim Poh a real gangster, like those living in Ang Mo Kio Blocks 630, 631, and 632 scared of him.
Quah says Poh threatened him before with a foldable knife, wanted Quah to tell him the name of someone who bad-mouthed Poh.
But then judge says Quah’s story a bit garbled, feels like he’s not so consistent with his tale.
Quah says his mind “in a mess” that time, so maybe that’s why like that.
Got Restitution for Medical Bills, Not So Bad
After the stabbing, Poh had a 3cm cut on his elbow and 8cm to 10cm cut on his knee, plus got partially cut muscles.
But at least Quah made up for it by paying S$1,390.40 for Poh’s medical bills after the trial.
Not perfect, but better than nothing.
Actionable & Practical Takeaways
- Stay away from dangerous situations and don’t provoke others.
- Be aware of your surroundings, especially in public areas, because there are CCTV cameras watching you.
- If there’s a problem, try to talk things out peacefully instead of using violence, really not good for both parties.
Alright, let’s end this story with a reminder.
Sometimes life is like a funny movie, with a lot of weird and dark scenes, but we need to watch properly and learn from the experience.
Don’t go stabbing people, it’s not worth it!
So guys, what do you think about this case?
Got any opinions?
Drop some comments below and let’s talk!